Hold on to your hats and wear sunscreen because we’re going on an adventure in Acapulco Mexico! This tourist jewel of the country has everything you need for an unforgettable vacation: dreamy beaches, delicious food, fascinating history and a party that never stops. Get ready to laugh, relax and be amazed in this article that will take you to discover the secrets and charms of Acapulco.
Before we delve into the wonders Acapulco has to offer today, let’s go back in time to learn about its exciting history. Centuries ago, this land was inhabited by the Yopes and Tepanecas tribes, who were amazed by the beauty of its coasts and mountains.
But everything changed in 1521 when the Spanish conquistadors arrived. Acapulco became an important port for trade with the Philippines, making it a coveted colonial jewel. However, its real tourist boom came in the 1950s, when Hollywood decided it was the perfect place to film movies with big-name stars.
Since then, Acapulco has been a magnet for travelers from all over the world, and it’s easy to understand why. Its golden beaches and crystal-clear waters have become the setting for countless happy memories. And when the sun sets over the horizon, the city lights come on, and that’s when the real party begins.
Top 10 things to do in Acapulco:
Let’s dive into the exciting adventures Acapulco has to offer! Here are the top 10 things you can’t miss in this amazing city:
1. Dreamy beaches:
Acapulco is famous for its golden sand beaches and crystal clear waters. Relax under the sun, take a refreshing swim in the sea or enjoy exciting water sports like snorkeling, surfing or parasailing.
2. La Quebrada:
Get ready for a breathtaking spectacle at La Quebrada! Brave divers dive off cliffs up to 35 meters high, defying the waves and leaving spectators in awe.
3. Bay Yacht Tour:
Hop aboard a luxury yacht and cruise Acapulco’s beautiful bay. Enjoy panoramic views of the city and mountains while relaxing on deck with a refreshing drink.
4. Fortaleza de San Diego:
Discover Acapulco’s rich history at the Fortaleza de San Diego. This former fort houses a fascinating museum that displays artifacts and stories about the port’s importance in colonial times.
5. La Roqueta Island:
Take a boat ride to La Roqueta Island, a tropical paradise full of natural beauty and tranquility. Here, you can snorkel in its colorful reefs or enjoy a delicious lunch at one of its beachfront restaurants.
6. Acapulco Tradicional:
Explore the charming district of Acapulco Tradicional, where you will find cobblestone streets, historic plazas and charming buildings. Immerse yourself in the local culture and try typical dishes at traditional restaurants.
7. Mágico Mundo Marino:
If you are traveling with children (or just a lover of marine life), you can’t miss the Mágico Mundo Marino. Enjoy shows with dolphins, sea lions and other aquatic animals at this theme park.
8. Pie de la Cuesta:
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and head to the relaxing beach of Pie de la Cuesta. Its calm waters and beautiful sunsets will captivate you.
9. La Costera:
Take a stroll along La Costera, Acapulco’s main avenue, lined with stores, restaurants and vibrant nightlife, the perfect place to enjoy the city’s festive atmosphere!
10. Club de Golf Acapulco:
If you’re a golf lover, you can’t miss a round at Club de Golf Acapulco, with its world-class course and breathtaking views.
Food and beverages:
Acapulco is not only a destination to enjoy sun and fun, but also to delight the palate! The local food and drinks are a true feast for the senses. Here are some culinary delights not to be missed:
- Fish tacos: Try the fresh fish tacos, a local specialty that combines marine flavors with delicious sauces and garnishes.
- Ceviche: Refresh yourself with a serving of ceviche, a mixture of fresh fish or seafood marinated in lime and mixed with tomato, onion, cilantro and chiles.
- Caldillo de mariscos: This tasty seafood stew is a delight for the palate. With shrimp, squid, octopus and fish, it is a sample of Acapulco’s marine flavor.
- Mezcal: Toast with a shot of mezcal, the traditional Mexican drink distilled from agave, it will put you in the festive mood of Acapulco!
- Fish strips: Delight yourself with “tiritas”, fish strips marinated in lemon with slices of red onion and avocado. A fresh and light delight.
- Cocada: For dessert, enjoy a cocada, a shredded coconut sweet with sugar, you will fall in love with its tropical flavor!
- Tropical drinks: Try the refreshing tropical drinks with fresh fruits like pineapple, mango or papaya, they will help you keep the heat at bay!
Remember that Acapulco’s gastronomy is varied and delicious, and there are options for all tastes. Don’t hesitate to try the authentic local food and discover new flavors in every corner of this paradisiacal city.
When is the best time to visit Acapulco?
Acapulco is a destination that enjoys a warm and pleasant climate during most of the year, which makes it attractive to visit at any time. However, depending on your preferences and the activities you wish to do, there are certain times of the year that may be more suitable for your trip:
- High season (November to April): These months are considered the best time to visit Acapulco. The weather is warm and dry, with average temperatures around 28-30°C (82-86°F). It is ideal for enjoying the beaches, practicing water sports and exploring the city without worrying about rain.
- Low season (May to October): During the summer and rainy season, Acapulco can experience high temperatures and occasional rainfall. However, this season also has its advantages, as rates for lodging and tourist activities tend to be lower. In addition, the vegetation becomes lush and there are fewer crowds at tourist attractions.
Keep in mind that Acapulco is a very popular tourist destination, so there will always be something exciting to do, regardless of the time of year you decide to visit.
Is it safe to travel to Acapulco?
Safety is a legitimate concern for any traveler, and it is important to address this issue honestly and objectively. While Acapulco has faced security-related challenges in the past, local authorities and the tourism sector have worked hard to improve the situation and ensure the safety of visitors.
As with any tourist destination, it is advisable to take basic precautions to ensure a safe and trouble-free trip. Here are some tips for traveling with peace of mind in Acapulco:
- Be informed about safe areas: Do your research and stay in recognized and well-established tourist areas.
- Avoid dangerous areas: Stay away from areas that may have known safety issues.
- Travel during the day: Whenever possible, do your activities and transfers during the day.
- Use reliable transportation: Use reputable cab services or transportation offered by your accommodation.
- Be careful with your belongings: As in any crowded place, keep your valuables safe and watch your belongings.
- Follow local advice: It is always good to ask locals or hotel staff about areas to avoid and safety tips.
It is important to remember that thousands of tourists visit Acapulco safely every year and have incredible experiences.
Museums and Art:
Acapulco not only offers natural beauty and fun, it is also a place that enriches the soul with its cultural and artistic scene. Here are some of the best museums and spaces to enjoy art in this coastal city:
- Museo Histórico de Acapulco: Located in the San Diego Fort, this museum will transport you through time to learn about Acapulco’s history and its relevance as a key port in New Spain. It exhibits artifacts, documents and historical pieces that tell the fascinating history of the region.
- Diana Cazarín Gallery: A must-see for lovers of contemporary Mexican art. This gallery presents works by talented local and national artists in different artistic disciplines, such as painting, sculpture and photography.
- Centro Cultural Acapulco: This cultural center is always full of cultural and artistic events. From art exhibits to theater and music presentations, there is always something exciting happening in this vibrant space.
- La Casa de la Máscara: Immerse yourself in Mexican folklore and tradition through an impressive collection of masks from different regions of the country. This museum offers a unique insight into Mexican culture and festivities.
- Capilla de la Paz: In addition to being a spiritual place, the Capilla de la Paz is a space where art and architecture merge in an impressive design. Admire the magnificent works of Diego Rivera and other Mexican artists in this chapel that offers panoramic views of the bay.
Calendar of local events:
Acapulco, Mexico. Is a city full of life and energy, and its calendar of events is no slouch. Here are some of the most outstanding local events you won’t want to miss:
- La Nao Acapulco International Festival: This annual festival celebrates Acapulco’s rich history and cultural diversity. With artistic, gastronomic and musical activities, it is a unique experience to immerse yourself in the city’s identity.
- AcaMoto: For motorcycle lovers, AcaMoto is an exciting event that brings together bikers from all over Mexico and the world. Enjoy parades, shows and exhibitions at this exciting motorcycle rally.
- Feria de San Mateo: Every year, Acapulco celebrates the Feria de San Mateo with a variety of activities, including concerts, exhibitions, food fairs and mechanical games. It is a festival full of joy and color that you can’t miss.
- Snow Festival: If you visit Acapulco in summer, don’t miss the refreshing Snow Festival, where you can enjoy delicious ice cream and homemade ice cream desserts.
- International Sport Fishing Tournament: For fishing lovers, this tournament is a perfect opportunity to compete with local and international fishermen and enjoy the thrill of catching marine species.
These are just a few examples of the exciting events that Acapulco offers throughout the year. Before planning your visit, be sure to check the local calendar to find out which events coincide with your travel dates.
What to buy in Acapulco?
Acapulco is a shopper’s paradise! In addition to taking home beautiful souvenirs from your vacation, this coastal city offers a variety of local goods and crafts that you won’t want to leave behind. Here are some recommendations on what to buy in Acapulco:
Clay crafts: Local potters are known for their skill in creating beautiful ceramic and clay pieces. From colorful saucers and cups to sculptures and decorative figures, these crafts reflect the rich Mexican culture.
- Palm hats: Hand-woven palm hats are a classic and useful garment to protect you from the sun. Lightweight and elegant, they are the perfect accessory for strolling along Acapulco’s beaches.
- Silverware: Mexico is famous for its silverware and Acapulco is no exception. Find beautiful necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings with unique and detailed designs.
- Swimwear: You can’t pass up the opportunity to purchase a local designer swimsuit. With a wide selection of colors and styles, you’ll be sure to look stylish at the beach.
- Chiles and salsas: If you’re a lover of spicy food, don’t hesitate to take home some local salsas and chiles. They are the perfect gift for Mexican food lovers.
- Fashionable clothing and accessories: Acapulco has boutiques and fashion stores that offer unique and trendy clothing and accessories. From beachwear to designer pieces, you will always find something special.
- Masks and traditional handicrafts: Masks and other handicrafts related to traditional festivities and dances are unique treasures to take home as a souvenir of your visit.
Remember that it is always advisable to haggle over prices in local markets and stores, it’s part of the Mexican shopping experience! Also, by purchasing local items, you are supporting the artisans and contributing to the preservation of Acapulco’s culture and traditions.
Acapulco’s climate is one of the biggest attractions for tourists, as it offers warm and sunny temperatures during most of the year. Here is a summary of the weather in different seasons:
- Winter (November to February): During the winter, Acapulco enjoys average temperatures of 24-30°C (75-86°F). It is the ideal season to escape the cold and enjoy the sun on the beaches.
- Spring (March to May): Spring is an excellent time to visit Acapulco. Temperatures are warm, ranging from 25-32°C (77-90°F), and it is a time when the crowds are not as numerous.
- Summer (June to August): Summer is the hottest season in Acapulco, with temperatures that can reach up to 35°C (95°F) or more. It is ideal for enjoying the beaches, but it is also the rainy season, so it is important to bring an umbrella or raincoat.
- Autumn (September to October): In autumn, temperatures begin to drop slightly, but you can still enjoy warm, sunny days. This is a good time to visit Acapulco if you want to avoid the crowds of the high season.
Acapulco, Mexico. Is a year-round destination, but each season offers different experiences. Whichever season you choose, you are sure to find the perfect weather to enjoy the beaches, tourist activities and rich culture of this wonderful city, so get ready for tropical weather and an unforgettable experience in Acapulco!
You may also be interested in: