Welcome to an exciting journey through Mexico, Cancun! In this article, you will be immersed in the wonders of this dream destination. We will take you through its crystalline beaches, its millenary history and the unforgettable experiences that await you in this paradisiacal corner of paradise. Get ready to be captivated by the magic of Cancun, while we entertain you, inform you and make you feel as if you were there, enjoying everything this place has to offer.
History of Cancun, Mexico
Cancun’s history is fascinating and dates back thousands of years. Before becoming one of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, this area was inhabited by the ancient Maya, who established settlements in the region.
- Mayan Background: The Yucatan Peninsula, where Cancun is located, was home to a great Mayan civilization that flourished between 250 and 900 AD. The Maya built impressive cities, such as Chichen Itza and Tulum, which today are renowned archaeological destinations.
- Discovery and Foundation: Cancun was discovered by the Spanish conquistadors in the 16th century, during their exploration of the region. However, for many years, it remained practically uninhabited and was mainly used as a passing place for trade routes.
- Transformation into a Tourist Destination: In the mid-20th century, Cancun was little more than a fishing village with a few scattered houses. But everything changed in the 1970s when the Mexican government saw the region’s tourism potential. With its natural beauty and stunning beaches, Cancun became a large-scale tourism development project.
- Tourist Development: Construction of resorts and luxury hotels began in the area of today’s Hotel Zone, and Cancun quickly gained popularity as a world-class destination. The tourist infrastructure developed rapidly, attracting visitors from all over the world in search of sun, beaches and fun.
- Cancun Today: Today, Cancun is one of the most visited tourist destinations in Mexico and the world. With its warm tropical climate, turquoise waters and a wide range of activities for all tastes, Cancun remains a paradise for beach and culture lovers.
- The Evolution of Cancun: Although it has grown and evolved over time, Cancun still retains its cultural richness and connection to Mayan history. Visitors can explore ancient ruins, enjoy authentic Mexican cuisine and immerse themselves in the local culture.
In short, Cancun’s history is a fascinating blend of ancient Mayan traditions and modern tourism development, making it a unique and exciting destination for those seeking an unforgettable experience in the Mexican Caribbean.
Top 10 Things to Do in Cancun:
Thrilling adventures and endless fun await you in Cancun! Here are our top ten recommendations to make the most of your trip:
1. Dream Beaches:
Relax on Cancun’s stunning white sand beaches and crystal clear waters. Enjoy the sun, the sea and the Caribbean breeze at Playa Delfines or Playa Tortugas.
2. Snorkeling and Diving:
Explore the fascinating underwater world of coral reefs and cenotes. Discover colorful fish, sea turtles and rays that will take your breath away.
3. Mayan Ruins:
Immerse yourself in Mexico’s history by visiting the nearby Mayan ruins of Tulum and Chichen Itza. Marvel at the majesty of these ancient civilizations.
4. Xcaret Park:
Delve into a theme park of nature and Mexican culture. Swim in subway rivers, interact with animals and enjoy folkloric shows.
5. Vibrant Nightlife:
Cancun comes alive when the sun goes down. Explore the famous clubs and bars of the Hotel Zone to dance and party until dawn.
6. Mexican Cuisine:
Savor delicious Mexican dishes, from tacos and enchiladas to ceviche and fresh guacamole, the food is a true feast for the palate!
7. Whale Shark Watching:
If you visit Cancun between May and September, don’t miss the opportunity to swim with whale sharks, a unique and exciting experience.
8. Xel-Ha Park:
Enjoy a day of aquatic fun in this ecological park. Snorkel, zip-line and relax in the calm waters of a natural cove.
9. Isla Mujeres:
Escape to this nearby island and enjoy its laid-back charm. Rent a golf cart to explore the island and relax on its less crowded beaches.
10. Jungle Adventures:
Embark on thrilling zipline, ATV or horseback riding tours in the lush jungle of the Riviera Maya.
In Cancun, the possibilities are endless. So get ready for an adventure full of thrills, culture and unlimited fun in this tropical paradise.
Food and Beverages
Cancun’s gastronomy is an authentic celebration of Mexican flavors. From classic tacos and enchiladas to local delicacies with Caribbean influences, the food in Cancun is a true pleasure for the palate. Here are some dishes and drinks you can’t miss during your visit:
- Ceviche: Enjoy this refreshing dish based on fish or seafood marinated in lime, with tomato, onion, cilantro and chiles. It is an explosion of flavor perfect for the Caribbean climate.
- Fish or Seafood Tacos: Taste the freshness of the sea in every bite with the famous fish or seafood tacos, served with warm tortillas and a variety of sauces and garnishes.
- Cochinita Pibil: A traditional dish from the Yucatan region, cochinita pibil is pork marinated in achiote and orange juice, wrapped in banana leaves and simmered, a true delicacy!
- Margarita: The classic Mexican cocktail, the margarita, is a combination of tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur, served with ice and a salt rim. It is the perfect drink to accompany an afternoon at the beach.
- Fruit Mojito: Cool off with a fruit mojito, a tropical variant of the traditional mojito with flavors such as mango, strawberry or pineapple.
- Agua de Horchata: A traditional Mexican drink made with rice, cinnamon and sugar. It is smooth, sweet and perfect to accompany any meal. Horchata Recipe: Your New Favorite Drink
Cancun also has a wide selection of restaurants offering high quality international cuisine. From exquisite seafood to juicy cuts of meat and gourmet dishes, there are options to satisfy all tastes.
What is the best time to visit Cancun, Mexico?
The best time to visit Cancun depends on your personal preferences and desired activities. However, in general, the weather in Cancun is warm and sunny during most of the year, making it an ideal destination for beach vacations.
- High Season (December – April): This is the most popular season to visit Cancun, as it offers a dry and pleasant climate, with average temperatures of 25°C to 30°C (77°F – 86°F). It is perfect for enjoying the beaches and participating in water activities.
- Low Season (May – November): During these months, temperatures can be warmer and more humid, ranging from 30°C to 35°C (86°F – 95°F). However, it is an excellent time to find deals on accommodations and enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere with fewer tourists.
- Hurricane Season (June – November): Cancun is located in a hurricane-prone area, and hurricane season runs from June to November. Although the probability of a direct hurricane is low, it is advisable to be informed and prepared in case of any weather phenomenon.
In summary, any time of the year is a good time to visit Cancun, but the high season offers drier and more pleasant weather, while the low season may offer more attractive prices and fewer crowds.
Is it safe to travel to Cancun?
Cancun is one of the safest tourist destinations in Mexico. The Mexican government and local authorities have taken measures to ensure the safety of visitors. However, as in any place in the world, it is important to take precautions and be aware of certain aspects during your trip.
Tips for Safe Travel to Cancun:
- Hotel Zone: Cancun’s Hotel Zone is generally safe and well patrolled by the tourist police. It is advisable to stay in established hotels and resorts and avoid unfamiliar or poorly lit areas at night.
- Beach Precautions: While Cancun’s beaches are beautiful, it is important to follow beach flag warnings and take precautions when swimming, especially in areas with strong currents.
- Safe Transportation: Use reliable and authorized transportation services to avoid problems. If you rent a car, be sure to obtain full insurance and follow traffic regulations.
- Care of Belongings: Keep your belongings safe and guard them at all times, especially in crowded places such as beaches, markets and tourist areas.
- Emergencies: Make sure you know the local emergency number and the location of the nearest hospital or medical center.
Museums and Art in Cancun
Cancun is not only famous for its beaches and nightlife, but it also offers a rich cultural and artistic offer. Here are some options for art and history lovers:
- Museo Maya de Cancun: This museum features an impressive collection of Mayan artifacts found in the Quintana Roo region. Learn about the fascinating history of the Mayan civilization through interactive exhibits and archeological pieces.
- Underwater Museum of Art: Known as MUSA, this one-of-a-kind museum exhibits a collection of sculptures submerged under the sea. You can snorkel or dive to admire these incredible works of art on the reef.
- Art Galleries: Cancun has several art galleries that showcase the talent of local and national artists. Explore paintings, sculptures and contemporary artwork inspired by Mexican culture.
- Cancun Cultural Center: A cultural space that hosts art exhibitions, dance performances, theater and concerts. It is the perfect place to immerse yourself in the city’s vibrant art scene.
Cancun is a place that combines natural beauty with cultural richness, giving visitors a complete and enriching experience.
Local Events Calendar
Cancun is a place full of life and energy, and throughout the year, various events and festivals are held that reflect the rich culture and traditions of Mexico. Here’s a look at some of the most outstanding events you can enjoy during your visit:
- Festival Internacional del Sabor: This gastronomic event takes place in November and brings together local and international chefs to showcase the best of Mexican and world cuisine. It is a perfect opportunity to taste a wide variety of dishes and drinks.
- Cancun Carnival: As part of the carnival season celebrations in February, Cancun is filled with color, music and dance. Enjoy parades, live music and activities for the whole family.
- Day of the Dead: This traditional Mexican celebration takes place on November 1st and 2nd. Cancun is decorated with altars and offerings to honor loved ones who have passed away. It is a unique cultural experience.
- Independence Day: On September 16, Mexico’s Independence Day is celebrated. Cancun is filled with parties, parades and patriotic events to commemorate this important historical day.
- International Jazz Festival: In December, Cancun dresses up in jazz with this festival that gathers outstanding jazz musicians from all over the world. Enjoy concerts and performances in different stages of the city.
Remember that events may change every year, so we recommend you to check the exact dates and details before your trip so you don’t miss any of these exciting celebrations.
What to buy in Cancun, Mexico?
Cancun offers a wide variety of local products and handicrafts that are perfect to take home as souvenirs of your trip. Here are some ideas on what to buy in Cancun:
- Mayan Handicrafts: Purchase beautiful handicrafts made by local Mayan artisans, such as textiles, ceramics, baskets and jewelry. They are representative of the rich culture and traditions of the region.
- Tequila and Mezcal: You can’t leave Mexico without bringing some of its famous tequila or mezcal. Be sure to shop at reputable stores for quality products.
- Beachwear and Hats: Find a wide variety of swimsuits, sarongs, T-shirts and hats typical of Mexico to look stylish at the beach.
- Mexican Chocolate: The flavors of Mexican cocoa are unique and delicious. Buy chocolate bars or candies to enjoy during your trip or give as a gift to your loved ones.
- Lucha Libre Masks: If you are a fan of Mexican wrestling, you can’t miss the opportunity to buy a wrestler’s mask as a souvenir.
- Aloe Vera Products: Aloe Vera is known for its benefits for the skin. In Cancun, you can find a variety of aloe vera products, such as creams and lotions, ideal for skin care after a day at the beach.
Remember that bargaining is a common practice in local markets and stores, so don’t hesitate to negotiate prices to get the best deals.
Cancun’s climate is one of the most outstanding attractions of this paradisiacal destination. Thanks to its location on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun enjoys a tropical climate that offers sunny and warm days during most of the year.
Weather during the year:
- Winter (December – February): During the winter months, the weather in Cancun, Mexico is pleasant and mild, with average temperatures ranging between 20°C and 28°C (68°F – 82°F). It is a popular season to visit Cancun, especially for those looking to escape the cold of the northern hemisphere.
- Spring (March – May): Spring is an excellent time to visit Cancun, as the weather is warm and pleasant, with average temperatures between 23°C and 31°C (73°F – 88°F). It is an ideal time to enjoy the beaches and outdoor activities.
- Summer (June – August): The summer months in Cancun are hot and humid, with temperatures ranging between 25°C and 34°C (77°F – 93°F). It is high season for tourists, so beaches and tourist sites can be more crowded.
- Fall (September – November): During the fall, the weather in Cancun remains warm, but with the possibility of occasional showers due to the hurricane season. Average temperatures vary between 23°C and 31°C (73°F – 88°F).
It is worth mentioning that the hurricane season in the Atlantic runs from June to November. Although the probability of a hurricane directly affecting Cancun is low, it is advisable to be informed about weather conditions before planning your trip. The government and hotels in the area take precautions and have safety protocols in case of hurricanes.
Tips for traveling in Cancun, Mexico:
- Wear light, cool clothing, as well as sunscreen, hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the tropical sun.
- Stay hydrated by drinking enough water, especially in the hotter months.
- Take advantage of the sea breeze to cool off during the day.
- Check weather conditions before outdoor activities or excursions.
In summary, the weather in Cancun is mostly warm and sunny, making it an ideal destination to enjoy beaches and outdoor activities all year round. Get ready for a trip full of sun, fun and wonderful experiences in this beautiful Caribbean destination!