Calgary, with its strong cowboy culture and love for barbecues, may not be the first place you’d expect to find an authentic Mexican cocina (kitchen). But as the city becomes increasingly multicultural, Mexican cuisine is spicing up Calgary’s culinary scene in a big way.
Tracing the Roots of Mexican Cocina in Calgary
The roots of Mexican cuisine in Calgary can be traced back to the early settlers and students from Mexico. As they made Calgary their home, they brought with them a rich culinary tradition that introduced locals to the intricate flavors of Mexican food.
Dishes Making a Mark
- Tacos: While tacos have been a staple in North America for a while, it’s the authentic street-style tacos with carnitas, pastor, and barbacoa that are tantalizing taste buds in Calgary.
- Tamales: These steamed corn dough pockets filled with meats or beans are becoming popular breakfast and snack items.
- Pozole: A hearty soup made with hominy corn and meat, usually garnished with radishes, lettuce, and chili, is gaining traction, especially during the colder months.
- Chiles Rellenos: The concept of stuffing peppers isn’t new to Calgarians, but the traditional Mexican approach, using poblano peppers and cheese or meat fillings, is a delightful twist.
Where to Find Authentic Mexican Cocina
Several eateries, from food trucks to upscale restaurants, are offering Calgarians an authentic taste of Mexico:
- Street Food Vendors: Often run by families with Mexican roots, these stalls are the go-to spots for a quick taco or torta.
- Themed Restaurants: Many restaurateurs, sensing the growing love for Mexican cuisine, have opened establishments that not only serve authentic dishes but also immerse diners in a holistic Mexican dining experience.
- Home-Based Catering: Some Mexican women have started catering businesses from their homes, bringing traditional home-cooked meals to Calgary households.
Calgary’s Take on the Cuisine
The response to the rise of Mexican cocina in Calgary has been overwhelmingly positive. The diverse flavors cater to the adventurous palates of locals, while the comforting and hearty nature of many dishes resonates with the city’s love for filling, wholesome meals.
Mexican cocina in Calgary is more than just a culinary trend; it’s a reflection of the city’s evolving cultural tapestry. As locals embrace and celebrate the flavors of Mexico, the city’s food scene is becoming richer, offering a diverse plate that satiates both the stomach and soul.
Articles of intere: